I love rituals and I love having a daily routine of some sort. When my daughter was born I had to lower my expectations of what I could do to “start my day off right” and got by with a quick down dog and some lemon water. Through the years I have been pretty consistent in making sure I get the foods that I feel are right for my body everyday and with every meal. These include:
- Vegetables: greens, roots, raw, cooked, steamed, organic, local, whatever. I just make sure I eat vegetables everyday, and with every meal. Actually I plan my meals around my veggies as they are the “main” part of my dish. I am also a fan of fruit, I just eat way more veggies.
- Healthy fats: fish oil, bone broth, olive or coconut oil, avocados, nuts, seeds. For those of you that know me from my previous blog, The Greek Bite, I am addicted to nut butter.
- Protein: I have been vegan, vegetarian, paleo, etc., which means I have indulged in various different sources of protein. Nonetheless, whatever I do chose to eat, I make sure I have protein in my meal as it keeps me stable and energized.
- Sea Salt. My chinese doctor taught me that salt has every memory of the earth in every granule and with this every element needed to survive. I try not to overindulge, just a sprinkle does the trick.
- Spices: I like to experiment with new spices as well as to use my old-time favorites, such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. Spices has so many benefits and pack a powerful dose of goodness in just a pinch.