Once upon a time this little pink frosted cookie made my mouth water. Today, with a bit more awareness about sugar, I would feel the need to apologize to my body for eating it. Here are ten reasons why I developed a healthy fear of this pretty treat.
- Sugar is the most nutrient dead food source in the world.
- Sugar causes the body to deteriorate.
- Sugar causes premature aging.
- Sugar feeds yeast and bacteria in the body.
- Sugar upsets mineral relationships in the body.
- Sugar greatly weakens the immune system.
- Sugar feeds cancer cells.
- Sugar leads to weight gain and obesity.
- Sugar weakens eyesight.
- And, for me, a little sugar makes me want more.
The good news is that even though sugar is sugar there are “healthier” forms than others. Here are fourof my favorites:
- Rapadura is sugar extracted from sugar cane at low heat and unlike other sugars has not had the molasses separated from it. Rapadura is a whole food product that metabolizes sower than traditional sugar and has all its vitamins and minerals intact.
- Maple Syrup contains rich amounts of minerals, including maganese and zinc, and contains 15 times more calcium than honey.
- Honey is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, helps stomach ulcers and is good for both high blood pressure and constipation. Honey is one of the hidden gems of the world and is best eaten raw as it offers various enzymes that are destroyed when heated.
- Stevia is a natural sweetener made from the leaves of a plant indigenous to Brazil and Paraguay. Be sure to use ground leaves, which look like a green powder or a whole leaf extract. There has been some discussion about stevia and its effect on fertility so proceed with caution if you are trying to conceive.
Remember that with any food, moderation and variety are key.